25th October 2022
For immediate release.
Paid Role – Permanent, Part-time on a Self Employed basis
Brighton Gay Men’s Chorus is the largest gay men’s chorus outside London, with over 100 members who regularly rehearse on Tuesday evenings in central Brighton. Our repertoire is broad, ranging from current and historic pop to the occasional classical and folk numbers. Our arrangements are predominantly written by our music professionals and often offer an interesting twist to a well-known number. Our shows are loved by our regular audience and local critics alike, and we are regularly seen performing in and around Brighton and Hove, as well as travelling nationally and internationally to perform in chorus festivals and competitions.
We are recruiting an Assistant Chorus Director to support our Chorus Director, Joe Paxton, and Music Director and Accompanist, Tim Nail.
This is an ideal role for a professional musician who wants to develop skills in leading a large chorus. It is a developmental remunerated role with a tailored package of support from the Chorus Director and Music Director. Applicants should be eager to learn and develop.
The role requires:
- Attending rehearsals, performances and tours (Our regular rehearsals are on Tuesdays at 7:30pm; the role also requires weekend availability 3-4 times per term).
- Assisting the Chorus Director in rehearsing and conducting the Chorus
- Supporting and running workshops and sectionals
- Creating and developing arrangements and backing tracks
- Recording music resources
- Helping members develop their musical knowledge and singing techniques
- Assisting with the creative development of the chorus
- Engaging in all aspect of Chorus activity, including non-music aspects
Essential Skills and Attributes
- Play piano to a good standard
- A confident singer, with experience of performing in and/or leading choirs
- Music degree or similar qualification
- LGBTQ+ community member or ally
- Ability to lead rehearsals (with support at first)
- Experience of teaching and coaching individuals or groups in singing
- Experience of accompanying choirs and soloists
- Experience of arranging
- Ability to make backing tracks
- Experience of leading large choruses
- Experience in stage direction and choreography
If you are interested please send a résumé of your career and a statement outlining why you would be ideal for the job to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 18th November 2022. Interviews will be held on the evening of Tuesday 6th December 2022.
NOTES FOR EDITORS
ABOUT BRIGHTON GAY MEN’S CHORUS
Brighton Gay Men’s Chorus was established in January 2005 and has about 100 members. It provides a space where people can celebrate music, enjoy the fellowship of other like-minded people and contribute to the local communities it’s a part of.
The Chorus has three guiding principles, their “Three S’s”:
- Singing – the celebration of life and music through male voice harmonies;
- Socialising – using this activity to develop social bonds that help people to feel connected with a sometimes lonely world; and
- Support – to be there for each other – both collectively and individually – when the chips are down, and to be there for the communities in which the chorus operates, too.
The Chorus is a registered charity, no. 1171020, with 3 key charitable objectives:
- To promote public education by the study, practice and public performance of choral music; and to assist other charitable causes.
- For the public benefit to advance and promote the education of gay and gay-friendly men in Brighton and Hove in the subject of choral music, its study, practice and performance.
- The promotion of equality and diversity for the public benefit by the elimination of discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation and gender identity, in particular but not exclusively by raising public awareness of discrimination towards and issues affecting the Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Queer (LGBTQ) community, and in such other ways as are exclusively charitable as the Trustees may from time to time determine.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
PR & Marketing Contacts
PR & Marketing Co-ordinator
Please address all enquiries about this role to Joe Paxton, Chorus Director, at email@example.com.
Links to this Press Release
Short Link: http://bgmc.me/?p=8483