1st November 2019
For immediate release.
Professional talent needed!
Assistant Music Director – Creative Director – Scriptwriter
Brighton Gay Men’s Chorus is the largest gay men’s chorus outside London, with a membership of around 100. Their repertoire is broad, ranging from current and historic pop to the occasional classical and folk numbers. Their arrangements are mainly written by their music professionals and often offer an interesting twist to a well-known number. Their shows are loved by their regular audience and local critics alike, and they are regularly seen performing in and around Brighton and Hove, as well as travelling further afield to perform in chorus festivals and competitions nationally and internationally.
They are recruiting an Assistant Music Director to support their talented Chorus Director, Joe Paxton, and Music Director and Accompanist, Tim Nail.
This is an ideal role for a professional musician who wants to develop skills in leading choruses. It is a developmental remunerated role with a package of support from the Chorus Director and Music Director. Applicants should be eager to learn and develop.
The role includes:
- Attending rehearsals and tours
- Assisting the Chorus Director in rehearsing and conducting the Chorus
- Supporting and running workshops and sectional practices
- Supporting the running of the Chorus Ensemble
- Creating and developing arrangements and backing tracks
- Recording music resources
- Helping members develop their musical knowledge and singing techniques
- Engaging in all aspect of Chorus activity, including non-music aspects
Essential Skills and Attributes
- Play piano to ABRSM Grade 8 as minimum
- Sing, with experience of performing in or leading choirs
- Music degree or similar qualification
- LGBTQ+ community member or ally
- Ability to lead rehearsals
- Experience of teaching and coaching groups in music and singing to a wide range of levels and ability
- Experience of accompanying choirs or choruses
- Experience of arranging music pieces
- Experience of leading large choruses
- Experience in stage direction and choreography
In addition, they are also looking to recruit Creative Director and Scriptwriting support, so if you have any of these skills to that will be a bonus.
Further information about the Brighton Gay Men’s Chorus can be found at www.brightongmc.org
Photographs for publication:
To download, click on image to view and then right-click to save.
NOTES FOR EDITORS
ABOUT BRIGHTON GAY MEN’S CHORUS
Brighton Gay Men’s Chorus was established in January 2005 and has about 100 members. It provides a space where people can celebrate music, enjoy the fellowship of other like-minded people and contribute to the local communities it’s a part of.
The Chorus has three guiding principles, their “Three S’s”:
- Singing – the celebration of life and music through male voice harmonies;
- Socialising – using this activity to develop social bonds that help people to feel connected with a sometimes lonely world; and
- Support – to be there for each other – both collectively and individually – when the chips are down, and to be there for the communities in which the chorus operates, too.
The Chorus is a registered charity, no. 1171020, with 3 key charitable objectives:
- To promote public education by the study, practice and public performance of choral music; and to assist other charitable causes.
- For the public benefit to advance and promote the education of gay and gay-friendly men in Brighton and Hove in the subject of choral music, its study, practice and performance.
- The promotion of equality and diversity for the public benefit by the elimination of discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation and gender identity, in particular but not exclusively by raising public awareness of discrimination towards and issues affecting the Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Queer (LGBTQ) community, and in such other ways as are exclusively charitable as the Trustees may from time to time determine.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
PR & Marketing Contact:
PR & Marketing Co-ordinator
Links to this Press Release
Short Link: http://bgmc.me/?p=6537